Friday, September 18, 2009

Breastfeeding in the news

Last night there was a story on one of the news channels about a woman being fired for pumping at work, so she says. It finally went to the Ohio supreme court and they ruled against her simply because she was leaving for an hour without telling her supervisor and other issues, not because she was pumping. But it brings up a huge issue in my mind.... smoke breaks are allowed and common place in corporate America, and as said last night, it kills you. But a mom taking a "pump" break, which is known to be healthier for baby and mom, is unheard of to many across America. There is a congresswoman trying to make it a national law!! Texas does have a "protection" for breastfeeding moms, but not a law. The courts making this decision were also all MALE and as many of you know, the topic, makes many men uncomfortable... not my husband...now that is... not before Kyndahl and Kaylah!! I really think this needs to be addressed, and the sooner the better! I have no idea what I would do if I had not worked in a "mom-friendly" position! Plus, how many of us have had to pump in a nasty bathroom... one man last night said it best, "I wouldn't want to eat my lunch in there, so why should we expect them to feed their child there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment